25th Jul 2010 | 13 Comments
Nikko Toshogu (日光東照宮) is the most famous shrines in Nikko.
Nikko (日光) is very popular destination for the tourist from the foreign countries because it is World Heritage site. You can see lots of very historical temples and shrines.
Take Tohoku Shinkanse from Tokyo or Ueno to Utsunomiya.
You can get Nikko by Japan Rail Pass. If you access there from Tokyo, take Tohoku Shinkansen to get Utsunomiya. “Hayate” do not stop at Utusnomiya station. Take “Yamabiko” or “Nasuno” to Utsunomiya.
You need to take the local train on Nikko line.
You will transfer to Nikko line at Utsunomiya station. After you get off Shinkansen, move to platform #5. Mostly the train to Nikko depart there. Nikko is the last station. It takes about 40 minutes from Utsunomiya to Nikko.
This is the typical interior of the local train.
Nikko line is used for not sightseeing but commuting. We do not have the luxury express train. You need to get the local train. And also these trains are not operated very often. We have 24 round trips a day. We mostly have once train a hour. Please check the time table before you go.
View Nikko Line in a larger map
You may also like these posts:
- How to access Kanazawa from Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Yokohama, Hiroshima, Hakata and many more places. Which route is the fastest and the cheapest?
- How to access to Miyajima from Hiroshima by local train. No extra charge for Japan Rail Pass user.
- How to access World Heritage Shiretoko by railway. Japan Rail Pass can be used to access there?
- How to access to Shirakawa-go. Can we get Shirakawago by Japan Rail Pass?
- How to access World Heritage Mt. Koya. Japan Rail Pass can be used to get Mt. Koya?
- Fall JR rapid and local trains unlimited ride ticket 3 days at 7500 yen. Available for both residents and visitors.
- Trip to Aizu, Nikko and Hakone in 2014 winter – Part 3, Tokyo to Kinugawa Onsen via Utsunomiya
- Direct access to Nikko from Shinjuku, Limited Express Nikko and Kinugawa
- Trip to Aizu, Nikko and Hakone in 2014 winter – Part 10, sightseeing in Nikko
- How to access to Asakusa. Can we get Asakusa by Japan Rail Pass?
Leave a Reply
I always welcome your comment. But before you leave a comment, please remember these following:
- This is not an official website. This website, JPRail.com is a private website. I don't sell any tickets or passes.
- I am not a travel agent. Please do not ask me to make an itinerary. I can check your itinerary and give you suggestion. I think making an itinerary is a part of your travel. Please try to make it by yourself. Enjoy! :)
- If you need access information to your hotel, please don't ask me but ask your hotel.
- If you are looking for the information about timetable, please refer Japan Railway's timetables.
- If you are looking for the information about the fare, please refer Fare Calculation.
- If you are looking for the information about reservation, please refer, How to reserve seat.
- And you may find the infomation that you need at full index in site map.
If you still have a question, of course I can answer your question.
Please don't ask a question about other than train travel. :)
*If you are the first time vistor, your comment will not be shown before I approve.