If you use JR Pass and visit Osaka, you should know how much you can use JR Pass in Osaka. I forcus on using JR Pass in downtown Osaka. If you use the following passes, you have same coverage.
- Kansai Area Pass
- Kansai Wide Area Pass
- Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass
- Sanyo Sanin Area Pass
- Kansai Hokuriku Area Pass
- Hokuriku Arch Pass
- Takayama Hokuriku Area Touirst Pass
- Northern Kyushu Sanyo Sanin Area Pass
I will show you JR train network in downtown Osaka in this post.
- 0.1 JR lines in downtown Osaka
- 0.2 Osaka Kanjo line (Osaka loop line)
- 0.3 Yamatoji line
- 0.4 Kansai airport line and Hanwa line
- 0.5 Yumesaki line
- 0.6 JR Tozai line
- 0.7 Kobe/Kyoto line
- 1 The places where you can go by JR Pass
- 2 The places where you can NOT go by JR Pass
- 3 Osaka Metro
JR lines in downtown Osaka
Please see the map below:
The above map shows you all JR lines in downtown Osaka. I will explain you the line of JR one by one.
In this post, I explain you only JR trains. If you want to know whole part of train system in downtown Osaka, please see the link below:
I also explain this topic in YouTube movie too. Please watch it instead of reading the post:
Osaka Kanjo line (Osaka loop line)
This line encircles downtown Osaka. You will use this line often when you stay in Osaka. This line is started from Osaka station which is the biggest station in Osaka. It is located in Umeda area and JR Osaka station and other railway’s Umeda stations are same location.
This line go through Kyobashi, Tsuruhashi, Tennoji, Shin-Imamiya, Bentencho, Nishikujo and come back to Osaka again. All these stations are transfer points to other lines and railways.
- Osaka (Umeda)
- Hankyu Railway (to Arashiyama, Gion, Kobe-Sannomiya, Takarazuka, Ikeda, Minoo),
- Hanshin Railway (to Kobe-Sannomiya)
- Osaka Metro (to almost everywhere in Osaka)
- Kyobashi – Keihan Railway (to Gion, Kyoto)
- Tsuruhashi – Kintetsu Railway (to Osaka-Namba, TennojiNara, Nagoya)
- Shin-Imamiya – Nankai Railway (to Namba, Kansai airport)
- Bentencho – Osaka Metro Chuo line (to Osaka Kaiyukan aquarium)
- Hanshin Railway (to Osaka-Namba, to Kobe-Sannomiya)
- JR Yumesaki line (to Universal city)
Tennoji is the biggest JR terminal station in south side of Osaka. All trains that go to Wakayama, Kansai airport and Nara stop at this station. But many train run on Osaka Kanjo line and then go through the line to Nara, Kansai airport and Wakayama.
This line connects JR Namba and Nara. Many rapid train go through Osaka Kanjo line and it connects Kyobashi, Osaka, Nishikujo, Bentencho, Tennoji and Nara. This rapoid train is called Yamatoji Rapid. Please see the link below to find more information about Yamatoji Rapid:
Many local train of Yamatoji line train depart from JR-Namba station. JR-Namba is only JR station in Namba. But this is a bit away from the center of Namba. Please see the link below to find the information about Namba stations:
You can access Namba by JR line. And also you can access from another huge downtown core, Umeda by JR only. But You need to take Osaka Kanjo line to Imamiya and transfer the train to JR Namba. It is not shortest way. Osaka subway Midosuji line (大阪地下鉄御堂筋線) is much faster and more convenient. I tell you about Osaka subway later.
Kansai airport line and Hanwa line
Many trains go through from Osaka Kanjo line to Kansai Airport and Wakayama. These trains are called Kansai Airport Rapid and Kishuji Rapid.
You can get Kansai airport and Wakayama from Osaka without a transfer.
The limited express Haruka connects Kyoto, Shin-Osaka and Kansai airport. The limited express Kuroshio connects Shin-Osaka and Wakayama, Shirahama, Shingu. You may take these trains between Shin-Osaka and Tennoji if you like.
This line starts from Nishikujo station on Osaka Kanjo line and goes to Sakurajima. Universal City station is located on this line and it is the gateway to Universal Studio Japan.
JR Tozai line
This line connects Amagasaki and Kyobashi. Kitashinchi station is 10 minutes away from Osaka station on foot.
If you go to Kobe or Kyoto, you take this line from Osaka station. Special Rapid run on this line and stop at major stations only. It is very fast train service. Please find more information about Special Rapid in the link below:
And also when you take the Shinkansen, you have to go to Shin-Osaka station by Kyoto line. It is 4 minutes away from Osaka by any trains.
The places where you can go by JR Pass
You may get these following places by JR Pass and other JR train passes without any extra charge:
- Umeda, Umeda Sky Building (at JR Osaka station)
- Osaka Castle (at Osakajokoen station)
- Abeno Harukas (at Tennoji station)
- Tennoji Zoo (at Tennoji station)
- Shitenno-ji temple (at Tennoji station)
- Shinsekai, Tsutenkaku (at Shin-Imamiya station)
- Namba, Shinsaibashi, Dotonbori (at JR-Namba station)
- USJ (at Universal City station)
The places where you can NOT go by JR Pass
You have to pay a regular fare to take subway or non JR trains to visit the following places:
Osaka Kaiyukan Aquarium and Tenpozan Market Place
You have to take Osaka Metro Chuo line to get Osakako station. You may take subway from Namba or Umeda.
Cup Noodle Museum and Minoo Falls
These are located outside downtown Osaka. You must take Hankyu Railway.
As you have been reading this post, JR Pass covers many places. But you still may need to take subway. Please see the link below to find all train system in Osaka.
I hope you have got an idea to build your trip by this post.