This is the most popular destination for the foreign travellers in Metro Tokyo. Tsukiji Market (築地市場) is the biggest wholesale market in Japan. You can see “Seri” that means the auction. Especially viewing Seri for Tuna is very popular. It is held from 5:00 am to 6:30 am on weekdays. You can taste very fresh sushi at the reasonable price!
You can get Tsukiji Market by Japan Railway. But you need to walk. So I show you how to get there by Japan Railway only for Japan Rail Pass user. And also I show you most popular and convenient way that is using subway.
Using Japan Railway. No extra charge with Japan Rail Pass
1) Take Yamanote line to Shinbashi. Shinbashi is located between Tokyo and Shinagawa. It takes 18 minutes from Shinjuku and 4 minutes from Tokyo.
2) Walk around 20 minutes to get Tsukiji Market from Shinbashi station. You need to take underway from Shinbashi station. It is very easy to miss the route. Please see this direction from Google map too.
Using Tokyo Toei subway Oedo line
This is the easiest way to get Tsukiji Market. Tsukiji Market station on subway Oedo line is just under Tsukiji Market. Exit from A1 stairs. Tsukiji Market will be just in front of you!
If you access Tsukiji Market from Shinjuku, Oedo line depart from Shinjuku. So just take the subway. It takes 22 minutes and the fare is 260 yen.
If you access from Tokyo or other station on Yamanote line, follow the direction below.
1) Take Yamanote line to Hamamatsucho. Hamamatsucho is 3 stations away from Tokyo. It is next station of Shinbashi.
2) Transfer to Oedo line at Daimon station. It is different name of stations. But Daimon station is same location as Hamamatsucho.
3) Tsukiji Market is 2 stations away from Daimon. It takes only 5 minutes and the fare is 170 yen.
If you stay in Tokyo for a few days, I don’t recommend to use Japan Rail Pass during staying in Tokyo. Japan Railways have many local lines in Tokyo. But the subway is much more convenient. If you need more information how to decide the first day of use Japan Rail Pass, please refer “How to use Japan Rail Pass to its maximum“.