Miyajima is one of the World Heritage site in Japan. It is very popular destination for the tourists.
You can access to Miyajima by Japan Rail Pass with no extra charge. But you have to take a local train and Ferry. I show you some images and explain how to get there.
First of all take Shinkansen to get Hiroshima. After get off Shinkansen at Hiroshima, move to platform 1, Sanyo Line bound for Miyajima-guchi and Iwakuni. You will see the sign for Miyajima. You will find the platform very easily. The local trains are operated every 15 minutes in daytime, 10 minutes in peak time. So if you miss the train, the next train will come shortly.
Now you go to Miyajima-guchi by a local train. You will have English announcement in Shinkansen, but the local trains don’t. So you should know how many stations you have between Hiroshima and Miyajima-guchi. Miyajima-guchi will be eighth station from Hiroshima. It takes about 30 minutes.
After get off the train at Miyajima-guchi, you will transfer to Ferry. You will see the ferry terminal at the entrance of Miyajima-guchi station. It is only 3 minutes away. We have two ferry services at Miyajima-guchi. You have to take JR Ferry.
According to the time table, the ferries are operated every 15 minutes. But when I took the ferry on April 24, 2010, the ferries were operated every 10 minutes. Three boats were operated continuously.
It is very short cruise to Miyajima. It takes only 10 minutes. You can see Itukushima Shrine on your right side. Don’t forget your camera.
Miyajma is a small island. You can access the world famous Itsukushia shrine on foot from the ferry termnal.
You may also like these posts:
- Sample itinerary Four world heritage sites (Shirakawago, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Miyajima), Kanazawa and Kyoto 7 days by Japan Rail Pass
- West Japan (Kyoto, Hiroshima and Kyushu) 7 days sample itinerary by Japan Rail Pass 7 days
- How to access to Nikko. Learn about how to get Nikko by Japan Rail Pass with no extra charge.
- Easy trip from Sendai. How to access to Matsushima by Japan Rail Pass
- Throughout Japan 14 days sample itinerary by Japan Rail Pass 14 days pass