Japan Rail Pass and rail travel in Japan complete guide. Let's use the Japan Rail Pass to its maximum!!!
Ganbaro Tohoku

Guide to plan your trip. Fare Calculation

This website shows you how to use Japan Rail Pass. But some of visitors have a plan to buy a single ticket. Even Japan Rail Pass user need to pay a single fare when they want to save the pass. So I would like to share the useful links and the information with you.

Find your hotels in 500 cities throughout Japan!!! Japanese most popular hotel booking site

JR’s rule on passenger’s ticket

JR fare rule is so difficult to understand for the tourists from overseas. Even some travel agents in Japan do not understand this rule completely.

I show you other simple fare tables below. But these fare tables show you a simple round trip or one way trip only. If you need to calculate for multi-city itinerary, you need to understand JR rules. I wrote about fare rule very simply at the post, For non JR pass travellers. Guide to use JR single ticket, basic rules, validity and stopover. You can get an information about purchasing and using single ticket.

Hyperdia

You can get a fare very easily. (click to view larger image)

You can get a fare very easily. (click to view larger image)

This is the easiest way to get the fare. I show you how to use this website at other post. Please refer Japan Railways’s timetables

Fare and Charges at JR East English website

You can find a single fare and surcharge for the following trains:

Fare and Surcharges at JR Central English website

This website offer you the fare table of Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen.

You may also like these posts:

Category: Fare table

186 Comments to “Guide to plan your trip. Fare Calculation”

1. wm says:

Hi Sonja,

We are travelling into Osaka this Sat (8 Dec) arriving Kansai airport at 7am, we have booked hotel in Shin osaka for 7 nights. We plan to buy the Icoca & Haruka package so that we have return trip covered from KIX to Shin Osaka.

Here’s our itineary:
    Day 1 & 2: Osaka ( we plan to get the Osaka Unlimited 2 days Pass)
    Day 3 &4: Osaka – Kyoto – Osaka
    Day 5: Osaka – Nara – Osaka
    Day 6: Osaka – Kobe – Osaka
    Day 7: Osaka/Namba
    Day 8: KIX morning 10am flight.

May I know what is the best rail pass & most worthwhile pass we should be getting for Day 3 – 6 please?

thank you very much.

2. Ayus says:

Hi,

Im glad that i came across your site as i have been having confusions on which pass i should get, the 7 days pass or the 14 days pass.
    Here’s my itinerary:

Day 1 –     arrive in Tokyo
    Day 2        Tokyo
    Day 3 – 5  Sapporo
    Day 6–       Tokyo
    Day 7 –      Kyoto
    Day  8-       Osaka
    Day 9 –       Tokyo
    Day 10 –     Mt Fuji
    Day 11.  -   Yokohama
    Day 12-      Tokyo
    Day 13-      Tokyo

Can i use JR pass in Sapporo?
    Need for your advise,thanks

Regards,
    Ayus

• JPRail says:

Hi Ayus,

Yes. You can use the pass in Sapporo. I think 7 days pass is for Day 3 to Day 9 is the best way to save your budget.

Cheers,

Takeshi / JP Rail

3. Colin says:

Hi,
    Next month I will spending 2 weeks in Tokyo except to travel to Kanazawa and return 4 days later. I may take another short trip to Kamakura but it will be outside the 7 day time limit. I will get a Suica card on arrival at Narita and for all my other travel within Tokyo. I’ve checked the fares on Hyperdia and would like to know if I am correct in saying a 7 day JR Rail Pass would be around the same price as buying a return ticket to Kanazawa when I arrive? Am I right or should I get a the 7 day pass?
    Many thanks, Colin

• JPRail says:

Hi Colin,

If you use JR Pass 7 days for just return trip to Kanazawa from Tokyo, single fare is about 2000 yen cheaper. Especially the fastest route to get Kanazawa is Joetsu Shinkansen and Limited Express Hakutaka combination. But Hakutata goes through non JR line partly. You need to pay extra. Please see the following post to get details:

If you pay single fare, this extra charge for Hakutaka is included. So if you use JR pass for other than trip to Kanazawa, JR pass may be cheaper than your total cost. It depends on how much you use the pass other than Kanazawa trip.

Cheers,

Takeshi / JP Rail

4. Mark says:

Hello … I will be taking golf clubs with me, so I can take them on ANY trains ?

Hyperdia – they OK with golf clubs on trains ?

Will be traveling from Osaka to Omitsu …

Thanks

Mark

5. Kat says:

Hi jprail,

Im glad that i came across your site as i have been having confusions on which pass i should get. Its gonna be my first time in japan and im planning to go there with my bf for my birthday. Ive been thinking about the passes for two weeks already and i still cant decide. I also want to ask for advise on where to stay based on my itinerary. Osaka or kyoto? Heres my itinerary:

Day 1 – arrive in osaka, go straight to kyoto (visit 5 temples and shrines) gion, fushimi inari
    Day 2 – go to nara (am), explore osaka (pm), flight to tokyo
    Day 3 – mt fuji
    Day 4 – disneysea
    Day 5 – explore tokyo

Thanks and more power to your site!

6. Faith & John says:

If we purchase a 14 day JR pass, what does it mean? Does the 14 days begin from the first time I use it, or does it mean I can use it any time for example in a month for 14 days on and off?

7. Heraa Nasim says:

Hello,

I am Heraa and I live in Beppu but I am a foreigner and cannot speak Japanese..

I want to go to t.Fuji so I am thinking to go to the Kawaguchiko Base. Can you please help me how reach the station from Beppu? By the way if you dont know Beppu is in Oita prefecture :)

I am planning to travel on 24th August. It would be awesome if you could email me the answer

Thank You.

8. Graeme says:

Hi Just wanted to say thanks for your comments. I priced up an 8 day trip while over for Fuji rock using your technique but found a JR Pass was not worth it for me holiday.

Appreciate you trying to help foreign visitors spend wisely!

9. Jocelyn says:

Hi,

We are heading to Japan and want to know how if it will be cheaper to buy train tickets as we go or get the JR pass?

Our itinerary is Tokyo 2 days-Kyoto 4 days- Matsue 4 days- Osaka 3days-Koch i4 days-Osaka 1 day. We are there for 24 days with 4 of this days in china. the 3week JR pass is very expensive.

Many thanks
    Jocelyn

10. Sonja says:

Hi :)
    My boyfriend and I have booked an unplanned holiday to Japan.
    we have booked it spontaneously so a lot of it has not been planned and neither
    of us know japan.

We arrive at narita on the 20th of June… so in a few days…
    So far all we really want to do is go to tokyo then kyoto and Osaka and then back to tokyo.

We aren’t sure if we should just pay normal rates for maybe over night bus or a night train
    or even just a normal train fare to these places or buy a JR pass… although we are in Japan for 3 weeks…

Would it just be cheaper to pay for the ticket on the spot?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

I always welcome your comment. But before you leave a comment, please remember these following:

• This is not an official website. This website, JPRail.com is a private website. I don't sell any tickets or passes.
  • I am not a travel agent. Please do not ask me to make an itinerary. I can check your itinerary and give you suggestion. I think making an itinerary is a part of your travel. Please try to make it by yourself. Enjoy! :)
  • If you need access information to your hotel, please don't ask me but ask your hotel.
  • If you are looking for the information about timetable, please refer Japan Railway's timetables.
  • If you are looking for the information about the fare, please refer Fare Calculation.
  • If you are looking for the information about reservation, please refer, How to reserve seat.
  • And you may find the infomation that you need at full index in site map.

If you still have a question, of course I can answer your question.
Please don't ask a question about other than train travel. :)

*If you are the first time vistor, your comment will not be shown before I approve.

Comments links could be nofollow free.

Find your hotels in 500 cities throughout Japan!!!

Tokyo (from US$16)
Kyoto (from US$21)
Osaka (from US$20)

Haneda Airport
Asakusa|Shinjuku
Fukuoka|Sapporo
Mt. Fuji|Takayama
Kanazawa|Hiroshima

And many more hotels in more than 600 cities throughout Japan!

JPRail.com site menu
Ticket Reservation
Timetables
Fare Calculation
Airport Access
Overnight trains
Shinkansen - Bullet train
Express trains
Japan Rail Pass - aka JR Pass
Other rail passes and tickets
Learn about Japan Railways
Destination guide
Sample itineraries
Tips for using JR Pass
News
Train operation status
Seasonal trains schedule
Forum
Ajax spinner

About JP Rail.com

This website is unofficial website about Japan Rail Pass. It explains you how to use Japan Rail Pass and assists you to use Japan Rail Pass to its maximum! And also this site explain about many more rail passes and supports you to enjoy rail trip in Japan.

Read more about JP Rail.com