Japan Rail Pass and rail travel in Japan complete guide. Let's use the Japan Rail Pass to its maximum!!!
Ganbaro Tohoku

Guide to plan your trip. How to find Japan Railway’s timetables

If you are looking for the timetable of Shinknasen or major limited express trains, try to find it on JR Groups websites. Otherwise you can check the timetables on the following site, Hyperdia.

hyperdia1

Hyperdia

Hyperdia covers all railway lines and domestic flights schedule. This is the best website and help you to build your itinerary. It is simple but a bit tricky to use. Please see the other post, Hyperdia perfect guide, train timetable and route search engine. I show you everything about Hyperdia in this post.

JR Group’s website

All JR companies except JR West have English website and show some timetables.

JR Hokkaido timetable

JR Hokkaido is doing good job. They have all limited express trains, such as Super Kamui, Super Ozora, Super Hokuto and more, overnight express Hamanasu and most of local trains! Some of local trains are not on the timetable. But I think this is enough for the tourists from other countries.

JR East timetable

This website show you the timetables of Tohoku Shinkansen, Joetsu Shinkansen, Nagano Shinakansen, Akita Shinkansen, Yamagata Shinaksen, Narita Express, Odoriko/Super View Odoriko, Nikko/Kinugawa, Super Azusa/Azusa/Kaiji, Hakutaka and Super Hitachi/Hitachi. These are only trains that can be reserved online in ALL JR TRAINS.
This does not show any overnight trains, such as Cassiopeia, Hokutosei, Sunrise Izumo, Sunrise Seto and Akebono. And these overnight trains cannot be reserved online either.

JR Central (JR Tokai) timetable

This website shows the timetable of Tokaido Shinkansen between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka.
Westbound (from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka) | Eastbound (from Shin-Osaka to Tokyo)
This website does not show other JR Central trains, such as Wide View Hida, Shinano, Wide View Nanki.

JR West timetable

You are able to find the timetables in the middle of the link above.

It shows you the timetables for Sanyo Shinkansen (Shin Osaka-Hakata), Haruka (Kansai airport-Shin Osaka/Kyoto), Thunderbird (Osaka-Kanazawa/Toyama), Kuroshio (Kyoto/Shin Osaka-Shingu) and Kinosaki/Konotori/Hashidate/Hamakaze (Osaka/Kyoto-Kinosaki Onsen).

JR Shikoku timetable

JR Shikoku has English website. But it shows the timetables in Japanese. They put the numbers on all JR Shikoku stations and mention how to read Japanese timetable. However it is too complicated to read. I recommend to use Hyperdia.

JR Kyushu timetable

You can find the timetable of Kyushu Shinkansen and all limited express trains in Kyushu, such as Kamome, Sonic, Trans-Kyushu Limited Express, Hayato no Kaze, Umisachi-Yamasachi and more.

You may also like these posts:

86 Comments to “Guide to plan your trip. How to find Japan Railway’s timetables”

1. Winnie says:

Dear Takeshi,

I am planning to travel to Hakodate from Lake Toya. Appreciate if you could advise the type of train to take to Hakodate. And if possible the timetable link too.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gary says:

Greetings Takeshi:

The information you provide is so excellent!

We are interested in scenic rail trips. It seems that one of them is around the mountainous Kii Peninsula. We would like to leave Shin-Osaka on April 16 on board the Kuroshio1 arriving at Kii-Katsuura at about 11:31. Then we would want to take the Wide View Nanki 6 from there departing at about 12:23 to Nagoya. The WVN6 is shown in the 2012 JR English timetable and also comes up in the Jourdan.co.jp website timetable. But no WVN6 in Hyperdia. Has this train been dropped? Also, I have a question about fares but I will ask it in the ‘Fares’ section. THANKS GARY

3. Teri says:

Hi ,

My friend and I will be landing in Hansai, Osaka Airport then to Osaka hotel, we are planning to visit Kyoto, maybe Kobe and Nara (staying 4 nights in Osaka), then head to Hakone for 2 nights, and go to Tokyo for 4 nights. This is our first time to Japan.

Should we purchase the JR passes? We might take a tour for one day to Kyoto.
    How do we get from Osaka to Hakone Machi? I know that we need to purhase Hakone Rail pass.

Please give us best interinary to travel and a reasonable price way to get where we need to go.

Thank you for your attention.

4. Julia says:

Dear Takeshi,
    my Parents will come to Japan in March. They arrive at Osaka international Airport from where we go to Kyoto (5nights). Sightseeing-Plan: The city of Kyoto

After that we go to Hiroshima (we planned to use Shinkansen here). In Hiroshima we will stay for 2 Nights. Sightseeing-Plan: Hiroshima and Miyajima

Then we go to Matsue/Shimane and stay there for 7 nights. Sightseeing-Plan: isn’t that finsihed yet, but I think we will go to Izumo, Yasugi and maybe 1 or 2 more places around Matsue. Of course we use the city-bus often I think.

Is it profitable to buy a RailwayPass for this travel-plan?

5. william says:

is the 1 or 2 day osaka unlimited pass can be use on the rapid train from kansai to namba (nankai railway limited express?
    thanks

6. william says:

hi,

plan to visit visit japan, arriving at kansai osaka then stay 4 night at osaka, then will go to hakone (by hikari)for 1 nite, then continue to tokyo for another 7 nights.

what is you suggestion to save cost on the transportation during my trip?

thanks

7. Leigh says:

Hello!

I’m in Kikuchi-shi, Kumamoto-ken. I want to go to Harmonyland in Hijimachi, Hayami-gun, Oita-ken. Which train and route should I take? How much is the ticket?

Thank you very much!

8. Michelle says:

I will be in tokyo for 6 nights before hopefully catching the overnight train up to sapporo for 6 nights ( skiining at Niseko for 5 ), i would like to know what is the best pass to get and and if you can pree book the train in advance?

• JPRail says:

Hi Michelle,

Use Japan Rail Pass 7 days for the trip to Sapporo from Tokyo and return. This is the cheapest way to get there.
      When you stay in Tokyo, you may purchase subway pass. But it depends on your plan. Single ticket may be fine. If you arrive at Narita or Haneda, you can use Suica and N’ex or Suica and Monotail.

Cheers,

Takeshi / JP Rail

9. joyce says:

Hi, I have plan to visit tokyo for 8N/7D days in Mid Nov as following itinerary:-
    Arrival :Haneda at 11pm
    Depart : Haneda at 11.55pm

Day 1-Overnight at hotel in haneda airport (Due to late arrival)
    (Do you have any budget hotel recommended around the area?)
    Day 2- To exchange the 7D JR pass at the haneda airport (to utilize for the Monorial to Hamama) & check in hotel near Ueno area.Plan to visit those attraction which can be access by JR Yamanote line for the day.
    Day 3 & 4 – Bound fr Shinjuku to Hakone via Hokone 2 days pass & 1 night stay at ryokan.
    Day 4 -Plan to visit kyoto by day trip via JR pass (Hikari Shinkansen)
    Day 5 -Plan to Nikko by day trip via JR pass
    Day 6 & 7 -Explore tokyo attraction via 2 days subway pass (for those not excess by JR line)
    (Base on my plan above, I need to buy 7 days JR pass, 2 days Hokone pass & 2 days subway pass)
    I would like to seek your value advice which is the most workable & cost saving pass & itinerary that more suitable for my above plan? Tq

10. Colin Cooksey says:

My wife and friends will be going from Okayama to Yasugi to visit Adachi Gardens. I would like to go along that train line but get off and visit some branch lines into the mountains. Can you suggest some interesting side trips. I have previously traveled the San-in line down through Hagi. Colin

I always welcome your comment. But before you leave a comment, please remember these following:

• This is not an official website. This website, JPRail.com is a private website. I don't sell any tickets or passes.
  • I am not a travel agent. Please do not ask me to make an itinerary. I can check your itinerary and give you suggestion. I think making an itinerary is a part of your travel. Please try to make it by yourself. Enjoy! :)
  • If you need access information to your hotel, please don't ask me but ask your hotel.
  • If you are looking for the information about timetable, please refer Japan Railway's timetables.
  • If you are looking for the information about the fare, please refer Fare Calculation.
  • If you are looking for the information about reservation, please refer, How to reserve seat.
  • And you may find the infomation that you need at full index in site map.

If you still have a question, of course I can answer your question.
Please don't ask a question about other than train travel. :)

*If you are the first time vistor, your comment will not be shown before I approve.

Comments links could be nofollow free.

Find your hotels in 500 cities throughout Japan!!!

Tokyo (from US$16)
Kyoto (from US$21)
Osaka (from US$20)

Haneda Airport
Asakusa|Shinjuku
Fukuoka|Sapporo
Mt. Fuji|Takayama
Kanazawa|Hiroshima

And many more hotels in more than 600 cities throughout Japan!

JPRail.com site menu
Ticket Reservation
Timetables
Fare Calculation
Airport Access
Overnight trains
Shinkansen - Bullet train
Express trains
Japan Rail Pass - aka JR Pass
Other rail passes and tickets
Learn about Japan Railways
Destination guide
Sample itineraries
Tips for using JR Pass
News
Train operation status
Seasonal trains schedule
Forum
Ajax spinner

About JP Rail.com

This website is unofficial website about Japan Rail Pass. It explains you how to use Japan Rail Pass and assists you to use Japan Rail Pass to its maximum! And also this site explain about many more rail passes and supports you to enjoy rail trip in Japan.

Read more about JP Rail.com